Free Counselling & Support
We offer free and confidential counselling. Our services are available for people living with HIV, their friends and whānau and anyone who is affected by HIV.
Counselling is delivered by our team of professional counsellors and psychotherapists. Our staff are gay and straight and come from a variety of different backgrounds and cultures.
You can book in to see a NZAF counsellor at our centres in Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch. We also offer counselling services through a network of contracted staff in most regions throughout Aotearoa New Zealand.
What can I talk to counsellors about?
- Living with HIV or AIDS
- Sexual behaviours
- Sexual health and safe sex
- Adherence to medication
- Sexual identities
- Gender identities
- Sexuality and sex issues
- Stress and burnout
- Relationship issues for HIV positive and negative couples
- Anger management
- Grief and loss
- Self-esteem and anxiety
Who can use our services?
- Any person who perceives themselves to be at risk of HIV infection, requiring HIV testing, information or safe sex advice
- People living with HIV or AIDS
- Sexual partner(s), friends, family or whānau of any of the above people
What other support is available?
- Treatment advice about current funding and access to medication in New Zealand
- Full sexual health screening
- Advocacy for work issues related to HIV
- Career guidance for people living with HIV
- Support groups for people living with HIV
- Education and training on HIV for health professionals